Curriculum Ferment in the 1890’s

Chapter 1

Herbert Kliebard the author of this reading gives a brief insight of what schooling in America was like before the nineteen century.  He then went on to show what or if any transformation was made in the turn of the twentieth century. One factor he mentioned that had a profound effect on the schooling system was social change.  The evidence of this can be seen in the increase growth in journalism resulting from both the magazines and newspapers, along with the railroads offering cheap and reliable forms of transportation.

A group of reformers seeking to develop the curriculum in the 1890’s was involved in an argument that led educators to conclude that “just as the muscle of the body could be strengthened through exercise, likewise the mental muscle, the faculties, could be trained through properly conceived mental gymnastics. I believe maybe this was the brain child behind rote learning and memorization.  During my years at elementary school some things I learnt that remains with me up until now was by repetition, for example the multiplication and division tables.  During my pre-school and elementary years rote learning was the most effectively used teaching strategy of the day.  Therefore there was a similarity between the British curriculum and the American curriculum in the nineteen century which manifested itself in other nations around the world such as the Caribbean.