The One Best System

Tyack - Part 1

After reading Part One of the “One Best System” by Tyack I gained some insight into what the school system was like in the 1800’s.  In this section the book discusses the school as a community and the community as the school.  According to the author, “during the nineteenth century the country school belonged to the community in more than a legal sense: it was the focus of the people’s lives outside of the home”.  The one room school building serves as a multi- functional facility in the community. In addition to schooling it was used for dramatic plays, social events, political and religious meetings. The school and community were a tightly knit group in which people knew each others affairs.

On thing that stood out to me early in the reading is “at the turn of the century, leading schoolmen began to argue that a community- dominated and essentially provincial form of education could no longer equip youth to deal either with the changed demands of agriculture itself or with the complex nature of citizenship in a technological, urban society.  Formal schooling had to play a much greater part--indeed a compulsory and major part they believed—in the total education of the country child just as it did for the city pupil”.

At least someone was able to recognize that with a changing society and one that is advancing into the age of technology, and the new demands in the agricultural sector change is inevitable. In order to stay afloat or keep up with the changing demands some amount of radical changes must be made in the educational system. I like the fact that they were beginning to focus on equal opportunity for all.  I connect this to the current president in his state of the union address share a similar view as the leading schoolmen in the nineteen century. And that is “ School should   offer the same opportunities to every child across this nation”.

I believe each one is as good as the other and everyone should be given the same opportunity, it is up to that individual as to what they do with the opportunities afford them.