The School in American Culture: by Maragaret Mead

The writer introduces this article from a cultural prospective where She uses examples of the cultures that have been devoted to learning. That is the Chinese and the Eastern European Jews.

There are three types of school references in the article. The first is The Little Red Schoolhouse which can be found in a rural area.  The second school image is the Academy at which the childern of the wealthy atended. And the third image is that of the City school in a poor neighborhood.

The mental images I get from this reading is so vivid and clear that it reminds me of the schools in my village. For those students who was successful at the Secondary School entrance examinations and gained  placement at a city school was considered to be very bright over their peers. Unlike the city school in the article that was in a poor neighbor hood, these schools were in the main town or in the capital of the country where there are historical buildings, banks and thriving businesses. The children of the wealthy (government officials) as well as the poor in material positions (but rich educational wise) attented these schools. The parents in the village worked very hard to support and pay their child's transportation fee.

The image of the little red house reminds me of how similar my grade school was. Most of the teachers were from the community.  The school was a rectangular one-room building where the classes were separated by a black board, so you heard what the teacher in the class next door was teaching. The older girls were taught home economics and handicraft something I am not seeing been done in elementary schools today. There was a good parent teacher relationship as far as I am concerned and sure enough sometimes a "licking at school meant a licking at home".