Geniveve Paul

Interview with Asian Immigrant Student

Introduction

I met Rhea (pseudo) in the computer lab at Medgar Evers College.  We had a brief encounter a few weeks earlier so I took courage and asked her if she would be willing to do an interview with me.  I explain the interview is for my education class project. She was willing to help after asking me a few questions about EDUC 355 and during the interview I was introduce to her older sibling who is part of the education program.Rhea is an immigrant student from Pakistan who I would refer to as Case study R throughout this interview report.

Demographics information of case study R:

Case study R is a 21 year old female. She migrated from Pakistan at the age of fifteen to the United States and now resides permanently in Brooklyn with her siblings and parents.

Family characteristics

She has two other siblings, one brother and an older sister. Her parents did not fit the profile of high achieving Asians who immigrated to the United States with a college degree. Her parents received less education than a high school diploma. Mother received a fifth grade educational level and father an eight grade level. Therefore her mother is a house wife and father does odd jobs.

Educational History

Rhea is a Pakistani who says she has no regrets so far living and attending school in New York City. Her assimilation into New York City public School system was not a difficult experience. She began her educational journey at Sheepshead Bay High School in the tenth grade.  Her three years experience was one of challenges with new words; exposure to the culture of other non Asian ethnic groups, and learning to overcome shyness, a feeling of discrimination  and reach out to others.  She is from the Muslim religion and wears out-fits that reflects her religious and cultural identity which was of concern to her as to how the other students would treat her.  She says luckily she was never teased, bullied or any of the sort about her religion and culture. Rhea graduated high school and is currently an upper sophomore student at Medgar Evers College.

She has a good command of the English Language and speaks three other languages – Urdu, Punjabi and Hindi. Unmarried living with parents and together the family participates in traditional festivals such as Ramadan and Eid in the U.S. Most of her friends at school are Asians but she feels comfortable interacting with students of different ethnic backgrounds. Rhea has never experience any feeling of being treated differently from the rest here. She talks about her school life daily with her parents.