Beyond Stereotypes

The readings and ethnography assignment for EDU 355 is an eye opener to insightful information about Asian and Asian Indians and their educational attainment.  For example the Asian Indians value education so much that the children experience pressure to perform at their best or stay at the top of the chart. I did not know this before just thought it was their innate ability. But now I know that Asian Indians educational achievement cannot be attributed to natural superiority or shared cultural and family values, but rather to the interaction of those cultural and family values with social factors.

Since Asian Indians are predetermined to be smart it is possible for the teacher to neglect giving that student the attention he/she really deserves. As a teacher and future educator I should dismantle all stereotypes and each student should be dealt with as an individual and not on the bases of group educational history.

I too am guilty of buying into the notion that all Asians are smart or are high achievers not realizing that I am overlooking the fact that these groups are under tremendous pressure to perform. These students can lack motivation in the classroom and even have learning difficulties just like any other group.  These readings have definitely changed my views on how I view individuals from different ethnic/cultural backgrounds.