For Standard 3; Analytical Ability, my evidence is a paper that I wrote comparing the two main characters, Oedipus and Okonkwo, from the two readings Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe and Oedipus the King by Sophocles. This was a final paper for English 212- World Literature in Fall 2010. For this paper I had to deconstruct these two stories and compare the two main characters. They had similar lives even though they lived in two different places at two different times. I had to make connections between the two characters and the events that affected their lives. I also had to explain, in my opinion, which character had the most responsibility in their demise and why I picked that person over the other. For sources I used the two texts as well as two outside sources in order to develop multiple perspectives toward my ideas and the issues the two characters faced.

The purpose of this activity was to make sure I can analyze and connect two readings. At the level of college I am in it is important that I am able to make this connection. It was good that I had to read two scholarly journals on these stories because I was better able to understand both stories. They showed me other people’s opinions on the readings and the main characters, which allowed me to connect their views with my own. By reading two scholarly journals, I was able to compare and contrast my thoughts and views with theirs as well. That made the two readings more interesting to me. This evidence shows that I have exemplary abilities to make connections between two readings and that I am able to put my views together with those of scholars and make comparisons. As a teacher, I am going to assign my students activities that will enhance their analytical abilities. No matter how old a person may be it is important for them to be able to draw inferences to two or more things, whether it’s readings, people, or something that affects their everyday lives.