This was my best lesson for both semesters of clinical practice. I took every critique I ever got, everything I learned about social studies and put it into this lesson. This lesson was cultural based lesson and I know that is an important topic so I wanted it to be right. I had three tools of inquiry which were videos, maps, and a blog from a Yoruba man who wrote about African masks but my cooperating teacher helped me enhance the lesson even more. She brought in a Nigerian wooden mask that I was able to show the students. Along with the books, all of these different things caught the students' interest and allowed them to understand the masks in different ways.

The students really loved that I took the time out to make a mask of my own. They also loved that I allowed them to pretend that they were Yoruba people and they had to make masks according to a theme that they chose. My theme was "I'm Different" Because there is a lot of bullying going on in the school and in that class so I wanted to bring awareness to differences and how being different is something to be proud of, not be embarrased. Giving them freedom to choose what they wanted was important because they do not get to do that. There is no hands on instruction in that school and no social studies so with that in mind, I made this lesson extra special for them.

One thing that I would do differently is pair the students up according to their learning styles so I could get the grade for differentiated instruction. Besides that, I wouldn't change anything. My cooperating teacher loved it because she said she used to always do stuff like that until she was told everything has to be reading. It made her happy to see her students excited and doing something different besides reading from a handout. My supervisor loved it and was happy that I included different things in the lesson to teach the students.