The Medgar Evers College standard under Analytical Ability requires teacher candidates to effectively and comprehensively deconstruct texts to uncover hidden meanings, to make connections, to draw inferences and to develop multiple perspectives towards various ideas and issue.

The evidence I decided to use for this standard is a Capstone Assignment- Argumentative Essay from my Philosophy 101 class, taught by Professor Fitzgerald, from the Fall 2012 semester. This essay met the substandard 3.1 "effectively and comprehensively deconstructiong text (visual, auditory, and/or written)" because it required us to use critical thinking and our analytical ability in order to point out the fallacies committed in a very convincing presentation on Global Climate changes.  We were first asked to reconstruct the presentation and annotate each premise, then determine where the fallacies were. Later on in the Semester we had to develop this same essay in to a 6 page finals paper.

This assignment and the Philosophy 101 course in general, helped me better understand the way arguments are created and how to differentiate a good argument from a strong argument.  Many people aren't able to identify fallacies or know how to determine the validity of an argument, and I am proud to say that I am able to do so. This course taught me how to speak up and make a certain point or argument clear and valid. Although I am not interested in the Philosophic field, these characteristics are something I can pass down to my future students.