The Medgar Evers standard commitment and care requires that candidates practice social justice, with others, believe that all children can learn, hold high expectations themselves, and carry out sustained commitment to teaching and learning.

The evidence I chose for this standard is my reflection on a volunteer event I attended. It was a conference called “Sex, Power, and speaking truth” at Hunter College. It was an event where the guest was Anita Hill. Ms. Hill was a young lady who was sexually harassed by Clarence Thomas, a U.S. Supreme Court Judge. She worked as his assistant for 2 years, and during her time working there Mr. Thomas made countless efforts to ask her out, and made numerous remarks about engaging in sexual activities. She endured a lot of harassment in her work place and after some time, she finally decided to speak out against him. Due to him being such a high ranked judge many people chose his side and let Anita fight on her won. Many of the members of the black community also chose Mr. Thomas’ side, and claimed that Anita was just trying to “keep a brother from moving up” and “going against her race”. The few supporter Anita had were told to be quiet and not allowed to testify.

While at the event I witnessed stories of many women who had gone through the same and had found the will power to speak up against sexual harassment, both physical and verbal. Being a part of such event, even though I was mainly doing general registration, I was of great support to the women there. Many of them complimented me for being so young, and having an interest in women’s rights. Women of all walks of life attended the event and I was able to see that this conference was much more than just a gathering. It was a support system, it provided emotional healing, it was where women who have gone through the same situation came together to show each other that they were not alone. Although I was part of this event as an extra credit work, I learned a lot that day and will continue to use the information and knowledge I was provided with.