The Medgar Evers College standard under knowledge requires teacher candidates to possess a comprehensive understanding of the Liberal Arts and Sciences and Education foundations content, concepts and modes of inquiry and make connections among disciplines.

The evidence I choose for this standard was a Presuasive speech from my speech 102 class, taught by Professor Jones, from the Fall 2011 semester. This presentation required us to come up with a paper and power point presentation on a subject we had no prior knowledge on. My topic was “transhumanism”. Transhumanism refers to the use of science and technology in order to make the human race better both physically and mentally. This evidence is an example of the sub-standard 1.1 Understands liberal arts and sciences content (the what of various disciplines), concepts ( the generalizations about content), and the modes and methods of inquiry  ( the how of various disciplines); and sub-standard

1.2 Demonstrates in-depth understanding of the relevant and significant ideas across disciplines.

I honestly didn’t believe in this technology and thought it was something you only saw in movies. As I continued my research I learned about how advanced our science really is. The unorthodox technology that transhumanist use is very astonishing and is something many people don’t really know about. Thing such as “brain pace-maker” for people who suffer from Alzheimer, and “bio-optic implants” for the restoration of sight are things these scientist are working on; and are only a few of the many resources we will have access to in the future. I was exposed to a whole different side to medicine and technology while preparing that presentation. Many people in the class decided to take the easy way out and do research on topics they already knew but I decided to challenge myself.  I am glad I did so; because I was able to learn something totally new and gain knowledge on a subject I normally wouldn’t have chosen.