The Medgar Evers standard under commitment and care is defined as a teacher candidate’s ability to practice social justice with others, believe that all children can learn, hold high expectations of themselves, and carry out sustained commitment to teaching and learning. The evidence that best fits this standard is a lesson plan assignment given in my Education 102 course. This assignment required me to create a lesson plan that would be culturally responsive to all children within a classroom environment. In order to create a culturally responsive lesson, I used the book It’s Okay to be different by Todd Parr in order to introduce students to the definition of diversity.

By creating an activity that would allow children to express their individuality, I showed social justice in the sense that diversity would be expressed in ways that children believe they are special. Because I am well aware of the different qualities that can be found in each child, I believe wholeheartedly that every child can use these qualities to learn. My commitment to teaching and learning has increased, for I see each child’s abilities as a positive contribution towards what they gain from learning as well as what I gain from teaching. Because I shall be working with children with special needs, I hold high expectations for myself in terms of making sure that each child fully understands the lesson.

As a future teacher, I believe that the best way to teach any child is through care and commitment. If one does not believe in a child, who may be struggling in a particular subject, how does one expect that child to believe in themselves in order to learn? Lack of commitment and care would have a negative effect on how students grow both emotionally and intellectually.