Standard 5: Learning Environments and Social Interactions

(Social Studies Unit Plan)

In my Education 314, I was asked to create a social studies unit plan based on The Americas: Colonial times. The purpose of this assignment was for the entire class to be able to create a lesson and use it as a guide to see how can integrate instructional strategies will look like and how it would come about. The evidence I choose gives a broad understanding of Social Studies. The degree program is guided by the Council of Exceptional Children (CEC) standard: 5 and ACEI standard: 2, 2.4. My unit plans was based on The Americas it was align with the social studies standards that “shows a comprehension of Education foundation content and concept because I was also able to include instructional strategies such as direct instructions and hands on activities in the lesson.  My unit plan has five lessons. The first lesson is literature lesson, then I have an Art/map, then I have video\audio lesson, then the field trip lesson, and social justice lesson that were my last lesson. All of the lessons were difficult lesson for me except for the literature lesson. The difficult part was trying to figure out how I was going to put all of the lessons together and the questions for each lesson and how I was going to assess the students after each lesson. My unit plan took a lot of thinking and  planning and trying to figure how I was going to put it together and will I do it right and it was also time consuming. It took me a while to figure everything out, how to make sure everything entwine together. Overall I completed all five of my lessons that I am very proud of. When I was younger social studies was my favorite subject because I love history, it was always interesting to know what the people before me did and what they accomplish and how they accomplish it. History always fascinated me and it still is.

This unit plan is effusive with INTASC Principle number 3: It reveals my understanding of how students hold opposing views in their approaches to learning as well as my ability to create a learning opportunity that are adapted to diverse learners. While doing my unit plan I had to observe a school that mainly focus on social studies and the arts which are normally integrated in the classroom. It was also similar in their classrooms, and academic skills are established in the setting of thematic curriculum.  

I used direct instruction/ discovery learning instruction strategies to teach the lesson in ways that would be effective when it comes to the student learning what is being taught. My evidence also replicates on CEC standard: 2 students were place in groups centered on their abilities. It was designed for Students to work together to help each other. This evidence says that my ability was competent or exemplary because I was able to create a unit plan with instructional strategies that were suitable for the student’s age group: the lessons were differentiating based on the student’s needs I also create this assignment for the students to appreciate while learning. They were learning but they were having fun. While doing this lesson I was thinking of ways that learning was continually taking place.