Jessie Ortiz

Education

Spring 2013

Final Portfolio Reflection

My portfolio was very overwhelming to complete and it took some time it was not an easy task at all. My reflection essays and evidence had to align with both the CEC standards and the NAEYC.   My reflections had to show how my evidence meets each standard; my evidence reflects my knowledge of students with different learning abilities. Similarly it reflects on my experience in the classroom and during my clinical practice. When I was accepted in the education program it prepared me to develop into a transforming representative for my classrooms and for the students’ that I am preparing to teach. Being in this program it allowed me gain additional, skills, knowledge. It permitted me to have an outlook on the definition of an effective special educator and what it means to be a change agent. When I was young I always wanted to be a teacher, because I had a teacher who never gave up on me and she pushed me to do my best and I want to do the same when I acquire my own classroom.  During my student teaching I realize that being a teacher is not easy, it takes hard work, patience and a lot of dedication. You have to have a passion for this job because you have to deal with your administrators, co-workers, parents and students five or more days a week. I learned so much, I loved the hands on experience it gave me a clearer view on how things really operate in the real world.

While completing my special education program, I achieved competent and exemplary evaluation levels on assignments in the majority of my education courses. My education courses better assistance me in becoming aware of diversity in the classroom and it imparted in me how to accommodate to every student needs. This education program provided me the chance to accomplish tangible knowledge and preparation by providing me with field experiences and clinical practices.

In each of my education classes I was given the chance to generate different lesson plans which accommodated to the need of each student. I am now able to create materials which can increase student’s knowledge and get a better understanding of how each student is different and they don’t all learn at the same pace and are not on the same level, you as a teacher have to meet the student where they are it also prepared me to be a good excellence special and general educator.  My evidence reflects on my experience in the classroom, what I have learned, what I need to improve and what I have done well. This professional portfolio is intended to report my growth and implementation in qualified to the CEC standards, which is my knowledge, awareness, and ability to apply these standards into everything I have learned throughout the course of my time spent in the education department at Medgar Evers College.

My reflections and evidence demonstrate my knowledge, ability, and outlook on all CEC and  NAEYC standards. The CEC standards special education workers are dedicated to the application of professional capability to ensure the establishment of quality education for all individuals with exceptionalities. The education department at Medgar Evers College provided me with different materials and knowledge which will be used to provide students in the General education and Special education setting knowledge needed to improve their behavior and to give them a well- rounded education.