Standard 10: Collaboration

In Education 457, two of my classmates and I created a curriculum unit plan, at this point in my. In my education class’s lectures and the different texts I have read in these classes, I learned how to deal with different children and their disabilities and how to modify a lesson to fit each child need. Just as students function at different levels in reading and math, they also function at different levels, or stages, of discipline.

An issue which plays a major role in a child’s education is integrating curriculum, where schools improve student achievements and seek ways to create rigorous, relevant, and engaging curriculum. Integrating curriculum makes learning more meaningful to students. In the Integrated curricula in which students take clusters of related courses are one approach to building learning communities. While planning this curriculum unit I had to keep in mind students ability and they ethic back grounds.

These lessons were planned for a longer period than the normal forty minute session and represented the ACEI standards 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4 and standard: 5, 5.2 collaboration with colleagues. As our theme, we used Transportation in New York City as our theme and focus because for clinical practice we were all placed in settings where students operate at a third grade level, we became familiar with the current units for that grade level. We agreed that Transportation in New York City lends itself to integration in all the content areas it will be an excellent topic for our curriculum development unit. In implementation this curriculum unit I was able to incorporate reading, math, science and social studies into each lesson in order for the students to have a balance approach in their learning. This day-to- day design provided the opportunity for us to really showcase various aspect of integration.