The Association of Latino American Studies was founded at Medgar Evers College in the spring of 2008 by myself and an Education Department student by the name of Domingo Santana. Both Domingo and I felt that Latino students needed a space at Medgar Evers College where they could meet to share their cultural heritage, as well as a platform to discuss social issues and have their voices heard and their needs addressed.

The Latino students responded enthusiastically and since that date our numbers have grown. We are actively engaged in educating the college community regarding the history, culture and history of Latin America. Our events are not only social events, but are designed to educate the community as to the issues that are most current and critical, such as immigration, domestic violence, environmental and health concerns and educational issues. Our first president and co-founder, Domingo Santana, graduated with his degree in Childhod Education and is presently teaching ELA at a Brooklyn Middle School. Our current president is Joanna Figueroa, also an Education Department student. Here  on this page I have included pics of our many events since the founding of the Association in 2008. Enjoy and if you have questions about the association and how you can participate, please leave a comment with your contact information and I will respond. For the most comprehensive overview of the association's history, philosophy and events, visit the ALAS ePortfolio website.

https://mec-cuny.digication.com/ALAS/Welcome/published

Example Image