For my education 481/2 course, Student Teaching Seminar I & II, students were to research a topic of their choice that they wanted to learn more about. The action research was about researching the best educational practices. Also, we had to research relevant literature and conduct an intervention in a public school setting. This piece of evidence meets Council of Exceptional Children (CEC) standard 9, Professional and Ethical Practice and Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI) standard 5 Professionalism; 5.1 Professional growth, reflection, and evaluation and 5.2 Collaboration with families, colleagues, and community agencies.

CEC standard 9: Professional and Ethical Practice address that I must reflect my attention to the legal and ethical principles of the profession, my engagement in professional activities, my personal commitment to lifelong learning, my sensitivity to all aspects of diversity, and my willingness to keep current evidence based best practices. After completing my action research project, I learned a particular behavioral management method a teacher may use with a student(s) who permits disruptive behaviors in the classroom. While researching through relevant literature I learned that there is an urge to educate teachers with different methods to assist a student with disruptive behaviors.    

Standard 5.1: Professional growth, reflection, and evaluation states that I must reflect my awareness of and reflection on my practice in light of research on teaching, professional ethics, and resources available for professional learning. Upon completing my action research project, I have gained the insight on how to use a particular behavioral management method with students who permits behaviors that are disruptive to the learning environment. I was satisfied to see that my three participants’ behaviors slightly improved throughout the duration of working with them.   

Standard 5.2: Collaboration with families, colleagues, and community agencies addresses that I must reflect my knowledge of the importance of establishing and maintaining a positive collaborative relationship with families, school colleagues, and agencies in the larger community to promote the intellectual, social, emotional, physical growth and well-being of children. My action research taught me that as an educator it is important to communicate with your students, their families, colleagues, and school administrators because at the end of it all it is a domino effect. If one is not in under the foundation is not fully supported. In applying the Self-Advocacy Behavior Management (SABM) with my students I was able to work with my students’ former teacher, their parents, and the students themselves.