Action Research Project Final

Conrad Johnson

Medgar Evers College

Abstract

This action research project examines the multiple methods a teacher can use to adequately assess their students who exhibit disruptive behaviors in the classroom. The primary aim of this intervention is to assist teacher with a new strategy to correct a students’ challenging behavior. The study details the behaviors that are considered to be disruptive, different outlooks a teacher can use, the possible outcomes a teacher can expect from a student’s off-task behaviors. For my action research I will develop a Student Questionnaire, parent questionnaire, conduct interview with the 3 participants’ teachers from their previous year of school, and use the SABM model with the students. I learned that placing student’s interest first is helpful for both the teacher and student(s) to come to a clear understanding of what is expected from both parties. I noticed that my student’s disruptive behaviors were triggered by their difficulty in waiting their turn, not respecting their peers/teachers as they speak and creating noise that distracts themselves and others around them.

Statement of the Problem

When a teacher is given a student who is diagnosed with a learning disability and does not have the necessary tools to help the student(s), then this becomes an issue. Every child should be educated fairly. The need for teachers to be educated on how to formally address the needs of a student is a concern for many. Some teachers who have been teaching for more than ten years are not in sync with the various methods one can use to help a student increase on-task behavior. “The need is becoming even more critical for all teachers entering the field of education to manage the challenging behaviors of their students, including students with disabilities” (Fallon, Kim &, Zhang, 2011). It is highly recommend for new teachers to know how to cooperate students with challenging behaviors. However, where does this leave the teacher who has been teaching for ten or more years; this teacher gets easily frustrated and request for the student to be removed from her/his class because they do not know how to manage the behavior. If a teacher is educated with the appropriate tools they can use to minimize a students’ behavior that is challenging will resourceful for both the student and teacher. There is a need for teachers to be educated to provide behavior support to their students. If a teacher is not providing their all to their students, this is a disservice to the student. As a teacher candidate I find it useful for teachers to know different methods they can use to assist their students in correcting their challenging behaviors.

If we want to see our students who exhibit challenging behaviors lowered one should be able to attend workshops, trainings, or enroll in a class that equip teachers with the methods to reach out to their students. In order for a teacher to end a students’ challenging behavior, they will have to be willingly involved in the steps it will take to correct a student’s off-task behaviors. I will examine different methods teachers can use to decrease a student’s challenging behavior. The intervention the teachers can use will help students to become more involved in correcting their own behavior as well. My action research will define disruptive behaviors and it shows what are classified to be disruptive behaviors.

The purpose of this action research project is to seek ways teachers can use to minimize student’s disruptive behaviors in the classroom of students who are diagnosed with a learning disability (LD). At this stage in the research, “the need to train more teachers in inclusive classrooms increases, college instructors should identify and implement courses assessments measuring their effectiveness in training practices” (Fallon, 2011). It is highly important for teachers, school personnel, and families to address a student’s disruptive behavior promptly.

Disruptive behavior can be defined as an inappropriate behavior that interferes with the functioning and flow in the classroom (Whitby & Miller, 2009). Disruptive behaviors covers a wide range of behaviors a student can demonstrate in the learning community. Disruptive behaviors are aggressive behavior, defiant behaviors, social disruptions, and emotional disturbances.  Meeting each child’s social and behavioral needs can be challenging and overwhelming, especially in the area of high-stakes testing (Whitby & Miller, 2009). One should know multiple methods to assess a student who display disruptive behaviors. In my clinical practice site, my cooperating had a student who transferred from another school. The student, who I will call C.B, is a fourth grade student who is diagnosed with a learning disability. When C.B came to class, he usually distracts his other peers from getting their work done. As I observed C.B in the classroom, he would not complete his work. My cooperating teacher informed me she did not know how to reach out to him.

This action research project examines the multiple methods a teacher can use to adequately assess their students who exhibit disruptive behaviors in the classroom. The focus of this intervention is to help teachers learn a model that will help to correct a student’s challenging behavior. The aim of this research is outlining the behaviors that are considered to be disruptive, different interventions a teacher can use, and the possible outcomes a teacher can expect from a student’s off-task behaviors. Disruptive behaviors covers a wide range of behaviors a student can demonstrate in the learning community. Behaviors that are associated with disruptive behaviors are aggressive behavior, defiant behaviors, social disruptions, and emotional disturbances.   Teachers need to be educated about the different interventions they have to assist teachers who have students that permit off-task behavior. How can a teacher reach out to every student if he/she does not have the tools to help them?  It is essential for a teacher to have the methods to help his/her students because a student can have complete turnaround before going on to the next grade.

This action research project seeks to answer the following questions:  (1) How does using the SABM (Student-Advocacy Behavior Management) model help to improve disruptive behaviors in the classrooms? (2) How does a method a teacher have learned help to decrease a student’s off-task behavior? (3) Why is it helpful for teachers to be aware a particular strategy to help students with Learning Disabilities?

Literature Review

Research shows a growing body of literature on Evidence-Based Practices has emerged as a promising form of help to teachers in meeting the needs of their students (Farley, 2012). For teachers who use Evidence-Based Practices (EBP) research has shown that it has the potential to improve the outcomes for a student who has an Emotional Behavioral Disorder (EBD). Under No Child Left Behind and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act of 2004 (IDEIA) mandate the provision of behavior intervention plans and the use of evidence-based best practices to teach appropriate behavior to students with learning and behavior problems (Miller & Whitby, 2009).  Since the authorization of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA, 1997) there has been an increasing number of studies extending the literature on functional assessment procedures on problem behavior in the classroom settings rather than in isolated and controlled analogue settings (Haydon, 2012). By implementing various intervention strategies such as Functional Behavioral Assessment, Behavioral Intervention Plan, and Self-Advocacy Behavior Management teachers and students can work side-by-side to get the student’s behavior to where it is more conducive for the classroom environment.

In the classroom, students can misbehave because they want to avoid class work or obtain social/tangible reinforcement. FBA can also be an approach to treating problem behaviors in the setting in which they occur, thus allowing a greater chance of success for the student (Fallon, 2011). The purpose of using a FBA is to determine the functions of the behavior in order to design an effective intervention plan to promote positive behavior, decrease problem behaviors, & meet students’ needs (Michaud & Regan, 2011). Once a FBA is in place the teacher can work alongside the school team such as the school psychologist and the students’ parents to formulate a BIP as to how they can monitor and maintain positive behavior. Research states BIP’s are developed by a team from their theory generated from a functional behavioral assessment (Michaud & Regan, 2011). The BIP should include a recap of the FBA, detailed measures for the intervention plan, also it should include a plan for unexpected events the student may or may not do.

SABM’s ultimate purpose is to provide students with the knowledge and skills needed to effectively handle their behavior struggles, which can affect their lives both in and out of school (Sebag, 2010). When using this intervention the teacher is seen as more of a facilitator, leaving more emphasis on the student to correct his/her own behavior. While examining the different studies, I noticed that most of the research was conducted on one student and mainly on African American and Hispanics students. If the research was conducted on different students would this alter the findings? Research shows African-American students are not being praised enough in school (Cartledge, Singh, & Gibson, 2008). Due to the African-American students not being praised enough, can this result as to why they like to seek social/tangible reinforcement or refuse to do class work. Using the various interventions will help teachers as well as parents to see what methods will work best for their students/children.

Research states children who make academic progress are more likely to experience approval from their teachers and thus to increase their commitment to school (Cartledge, Singh, & Gibson, 2008). Can it be if students do not receive the approval from their teacher this can be a trigger for students to part take in off-task behavior in the classroom. Also, students can lash out if the culture is different of their own and their teacher’s culture. Research shows teachers need to take steps to bridge this divide and make the necessary adaptations for the successful schooling of their students (Cartledge, Singh, & Gibson, 2008). If teachers create a safe and positive environment (both within the classroom and school-wide) is a preventive practice that increases student readiness for learning and reduces problem behavior (Michaud & Regan, 2011). Over the years, many teacher training institutions and researchers have favoured learner-centered (student-centered) approaches rather than teacher-centered (direct teaching) approaches (Gerges, 2001). By favoring the learner-centered over the teacher teacher-centered approach will allow students to be themselves and comfortable in their surroundings, opposed to them lashing out because the teacher is not putting forth the students experiences, perspectives, backgrounds, talents, interest, capacities and needs. Although, my literature review highlights three strategies a teacher may use to foster positive behaviors for their students. My bias was proven that not all students who have an IEP will have either a FBA or BIP as intervention plan. My three participants were diagnosed with Learning Disabled; two out of the three students displays disruptive behaviors in the classroom.

Methodology and Design

This action research project examines the method a teacher can use to adequately assess their students who have disruptive behaviors in the classroom. The primary aim of this intervention is to assist teacher with a new strategy to correct a students’ challenging behavior. The study details the behaviors that are considered to be disruptive, different outlooks a teacher can use, the possible outcomes a teacher can expect from a student’s off-task behaviors. Teachers must be knowledgeable about the various interventions they have to assist teachers who may have students that permit off-task behavior. How can a teacher reach out to every student if he/she does not have the tools to help them? It is essential for a teacher to have the methods to help his/her students because a student can have the complete turnaround before going on to the next grade.

This action research projects seeks to answer the following questions: (1) How does using the SABM (Student-Advocacy Behavior Management) model help to improve disruptive behaviors that are permitted by students in the classrooms? (2) How does a method a teacher have learned help to decrease a student’s off-task behavior? (3) Why is it helpful for teachers to be aware a particular strategy to help students with Learning Disabilities?

Participants and Setting:  

This study will place in a special education class in a public school. The students display disruptive behaviors in the classroom and diagnosed with LD. However, one of three student’s behaviors is not disruptive. This action research will be conducted at a Public School in Brooklyn, New York. The participants are 2 males and 1 female second grade students. the class consists of thirty students, fourteen girls and sixteen boys, eight of the students have an IEP. The class is an ICT class. ICT is “classrooms that include students with and without disabilities and have two teachers, a general education teacher, and a special education teacher. throughout the class, the two teachers work together to adapt and modify instruction for students and make sure the entire class has access to the general education curriculum” (Integrated, p.g. 1). In an ICT class is may not exceed more than twelve students. The 3 students I will work with are MM, NAB, and NL.

MM – MM has a problem staying in his seat. Whenever he needs help with spelling a word he usually walks up the nearest teacher and request helps. MM would be asked if he tried and he says no, he is encouraged to try on his own. MM needs to work on saying focused on one task.

NAB – When he is working on his work, he is often distracted. NAMB needs constant reminders to stay on task. He likes to draw on the opposite side of the page of his notes (that he does not completely copies) animated pictures. NAB likes when you give him constant praise on while he pays attention and copy notes.

NL – NL needs to be prompted to stay focus while she copies her notes sometimes. The teachers are working with NL to ask and answer more questions in class.

Instrumentation

For my action research I will develop a Student Questionnaire (Appendix A), parent questionnaire (Appendix B), conduct interview (Appendix C) with the 3 participants’ teachers from their previous year of school, and use the SABM model (Appendix D) with students. When I was thinking of my student questionnaire, I wanted to make sure I was asking the students questions that will let me get to know them a little bit more other than what I observed from them. By doing so this will help me to determine why certain behaviors may permit. The students’ questionnaires will be conducted during their lunch period. I would like to give the students’ parents a questionnaire to see whether or not they were seeing the same disruptive behaviors at home. From the parents’ response on the questionnaires combined with my observations notes will help me to determine where the behaviors is occurring more and why. I thought interviewing the students’ teachers from the previous year would help me to determine whether or not their behaviors started from last year or this current school year. The SABM is a model from of my articles that the students keep record of their behaviors.

Data Collection Procedures

In order for me to collect my data on my participants the questionnaires can be arranged to be set up for during homeroom, their lunch period, or pull the students out the room to have them complete the questionnaires. As for using the SABM model, I will introduce it to my participant and inform that we will work with this model for two weeks. SABM’s ultimate purpose is to provide students with the knowledge and skills needed to effectively handle their behavior struggles, which can affect their lives both in and out of school (Sebag, 2010). When using this intervention the teacher is seen as more of a facilitator, leaving more emphasis on the student to correct his/her own behavior.  I will introduce this model once my students complete their questionnaires. The questionnaires will help me to determine what I need to have the participants to focus on as they self-evaluate themselves using the SABM model. My cooperating teacher communicates with the parents through email using the schools’ website system. Due to parents’ schedules, I thought why not have my parents complete their questionnaires and submit them electronically. As I continue to observe the participants behaviors, I will schedule a time to interview the first grade teacher.

Implications

While conducting my action research time was limited, if I had more time I would have been able to observe the students longer after implementing the SABM model. As I worked with my participants some days would be hectic due to them being pulled out for their services. For the first few weeks of being in the classroom, the students went swimming twice a week. NAB would come to school late mostly every day; as he came in on some days he was pulled out.  To ensure that my findings can work for my participants, I plan on going back over this research to use it with the students I currently work with at my job as a Paraprofessional.

Discussions

As we know disruptive behaviors cannot be prevented, however a teacher can implement a learning environment that will discourage certain behaviors. The Self-Advocacy Behavior Management helps students to encourage student participation in  and contribution to IEP and transition planning have been a focus of special education … it is obvious that students should have a say in matters that impact their lives. This self-regulated and reflective process helps students become mindful on their actions and devise goals based on an informed and increasingly internalized knowledge of self. While I was observing my students I noticed things their teacher shared with me during our interview; the ways she used to correct the students’ behaviors I implemented them into my action research and I have noticed some changes in the students’ off-task behaviors. Research indicates that “providing opportunities for people with problem behaviors to make choices result in the reductions of those behaviors. When correcting a student’s behavior, it is best to work with the student as well, no student likes changes, especially if it is unknown; by making the student well aware of the change will help for a better transition

Findings

Initially, I was unsure of how the students would receive me, would they find me to be intruding or someone who is there to help then. The students’ liked when we conducted our meeting sessions, they often asked when I came into the class if I would be working with them again. After introducing to my participants my intended goals they seemed more eager with cooperating with me as we geared their behaviors to where it was conducive to the learning environment. As time went by, their behaviors slightly improved, with some slips up every now and then, but I did not expect to see a complete change during my short duration at my site. By investigating the SABM model, student and parent questionnaires and teacher interview, I noticed that my student’s disruptive behaviors were triggered by their difficulty in waiting their turn, not respecting their peers/teachers as they speak and creating noise that distracts themselves and others around them. My action research has helped me to find an intervention that improves the students’ behavior, whether or not the method can help the teacher and why it is useful for educators to use.

Conclusion

After conducting this action research I learned that placing student’s interest first is helpful for both the teacher and student(s) to come to a clear understanding of what is expected from both parties. My action research assisted me to answer the questions that I posed about improving students’ behavior to where their behaviors are ones that are on-task such as attentive listening, ability to stay focused on one task, following classroom rules, and increase student/teacher interaction. My action research can be used to help teachers minimize student’s disruptive behaviors in the classroom of students who are diagnosed with LD. I want my action research to be a gateway for other educators to be able to use to help them with dealing with students’ that permits off-task behaviors. I feel it is highly important for teachers, school personnel, and families to address a student’s disruptive behavior promptly. 

Reference

Cartledge, G., Singh, A., & Gibson, L. (2008). Practical behavior-management techniques to

close the accessibility gap for students who are culturally and linguistically diverse. preventing school failure, 52(3), 29-38

Fallon, M.A., Jie, Z., & Eun-Joo, K. (2011). Using course assessments to train teachers in functional behavior assessment and behavioral intervention plan techniques. Journal of the International Association of Special Education, 12(1), 50-58.

Farley, C., Torres, C., Wailehua, C. T., & Cook, L. (2012). Evidence-based practices for students             with emotional and behavioral disorders: Improving academic achievement. Beyond      behavior, 21(2), 37-43.

Haydon, T. (2012). Using functional behavior assessment to match task difficulty for a 5th            grade student: A case study. Education & treatment of children (West Virginia           University        Press), 35(3), 459-476.

Hulac, D. M., & Benson, N. (2011). Getting students to work smarter and harder: decreasing

off-task behavior through interspersal techniques. school Psychology Forum, 5(1), 29-3

McMullen, R. C., Shippen, M. E., & Dangel, H. L. (2007). Middle School Teachers'          Expectations of Organizational Behaviors of Students with Learning Disabilities. Journal    Of Instructional Psychology, 34(2), 75-82

Regan, K.S., & Michaud, K.M. (2011). Best practices to support student behavior. Beyond           Behavior, 20(2), 40-47

Sebag, R. (2010). Behavior management through self-advocacy. Teaching Exceptional Children, 42(6), 22-29.

Whitby, P., & Miller, K. J. (2009). Using eKidtools software tolls to provide behavior support in general education settings. Teaching Exceptional Children Plus, 5(3), 1-13

Woodcock, S., & Vialle, W. (2010). The potential to learn: pre-service teachers' proposed use of   instructional strategies for students with a learning disability. Contemporary issues in     education research, 3(10), 27-38.

Appendix A

Student Questionnaire

1. Based upon the scale of 1-5, with 5 being the highest and 1 being the lowest. How much do you like school and why?

________________________________________________________________________

1. What do you like about the school that you are in?

1. Who is your favorite teacher and why?

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­________________________________________________________________________

1. What is your favorite subject and why?

1. What is your least favorite subject and why?

1. What are some of the activities you enjoying doing?

1. Do you ever feel bored in school? If yes, what time of the day do you feel bored the most? (ie. Math, ELA, Gym, Dance)

1. What do you do when you cannot get something you want?

1. What language do you speak at home?

1. How many brothers and sisters do you have?

Appendix B

Parent Questionnaire

1. Have your child attended his/her current schooling since Pre-kindergarten?

________________________________________________________________________­

1. Is English your native language, if not what is your native language?

1. When son/daughter is acting inappropriately what actions are taken?

1. How is your child’s behavior at home?

1. What are some noticeable behaviors that you have observe your child engaging in?

Appendix C

Teacher Interview

1. Did you have assistance with NAB, MM, and NL in your class last year?

1. How was NAB, MM, and NL’s behavior in your class last year?

1. How did you manage NAB, MM, or NL disruptive behavior, and if so what behaviors did you addressed?

1. What ways were you successful in monitoring NAB, MM, and NL’s disruptive behaviors?

1. What are some strengths you have seen in NAB, MM, and NL during last the school year?

1. How did you work with the student(s) to modify their behaviors to where it was more appropriate?

Appendix D

SABM Model

Figure 1. Weekly Grade Report

Name:                                                                                                                     Week of:_____________

Domain →

On Time

(5 Points)

Warm-Up

(5 Points)

Homework

(5 Points)

Participation & Conduct

(Respect, Responsibility, Community)

(5 Points)

Points

Monday

/20

Tuesday

/20

Wednesday

/20

Thursday

/20

Friday

/20

WG Total:                           Out of:                  =             %                           WG Grade:_____

/100

Greatest strength this week:______________________________________________________________

Greatest weakness this week:_________________________________________________________

My Goal:_________________________________________________________________________

_________________________________________________________________________________

My strategy:_______________________________________________________________________

Consequence for failing:______________________________________________________________

Table 1. Quick Reference Guide to Self-Advocacy Behavior Management’s (SABM) 5-Step Process

Steps

The Student Should

The Teacher Should

Helpful Hints

1:

The Weekly Grade (WG) Report

Always have WG forms visible and accessible

Monitor WG form and mark WG domains throughout the lesson

Oral and Written feedback on WG should be immediate and specific.

2:

Student-

Teacher Conference

Student and teacher have one-on-one conference to review WG. See step 3 below. Step 3 takes place during the conference.

Make conference unique and welcoming experience for all students.

3:

Develop Goals & Strategy

(a)   Review WG and reflect.

(b)   Identify and name conduct struggle(s).

(c)    Devise goal and strategy.

Guide and coach the student through (a), (b), and (c) of step 3. Articulate these only when student is unable to. The teacher should articulate any consequence.

Students should lead this process to the greatest extent possible. The teacher guides and scaffolds. The teacher might use follow-up questions in order to cognitively guide the student to articulate (a), (b), and (c) of step 3.

4:

Follow-up Conference

(a)   Reflect on goal and strategy from previous WG conference.

(b)   Repeat (a), (b), and (c) of step 3 for current WG.

Same as step 3.

Same as step 3.

5:

Adjustment(s) to Goal & Strategy

Adjust goal and/or strategy if original goal and/or strategy is not producing results.

To the greatest extent possible, guide and coach the student through the process. Articulate these only when student is unable to.

Student should lead this process to the greatest extent possible and the teacher guides and scaffolds. Use follow-up questions in order to cognitively guide the student to articulate this.