For my Education 505 course, Early Field Experience Practicum: Working with Individual Learners, students were to choose a reader who is able to read independently and a text that is appropriate – “just right” – for this reader. I held a read-aloud miscue analysis with my student. My student was asked to retell the story to me they have read and I then recorded the accuracy of the retelling by the student in my log. This evidence suffices one of Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) standard; Standard 6: Language. Additionally, my evidence speaks to one Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI) standard; Instruction, Standard 3.1: Integrating and applying knowledge for instruction and 3.3 Development of critical thinking and problem solving.

CEC standard 6: Language states that I must reflect my understanding of typical and atypical language development and ways in which you use individualized strategies to enhance language development and teach communication skills to students with exceptionalities. After completing my miscue analysis I learned having a student read aloud to you will benefit both the student and the teacher administering the running record. Both the student and teacher will hear the students’ mistakes. The importance of miscue analysis can be to understand readers’ strategies, and support them in becoming more self-confident and expert readers as soon as possible.

Standard 3.1: Integrating and Applying Knowledge for Instruction states my evidence ought to reflect my plan and implement instruction based on the knowledge of my students, learning theory, connections across the curriculum, curricular goals, and community. From conducting my own miscue analysis I have learned how to match my students to just-right books based upon how their running record. By implementing the student’s reading level into perspective will better assist me as I plan my lessons because my lesson will accommodate all my learners individual learning styles.  

Standard 3.3 Development of Critical Thinking and Problem Solving indicate my evidence should reflect my understanding and a variety of teaching strategies that encourage elementary students’ development of critical thinking and problem soloving. Upon completing my miscue analysis I learned that reading is a tool that processes in the brain without concrete and stable evidence of a reader’s activities. Miscue analysis helps a teacher decide what book is appropriate for a reader; analyzes which cueing systems and strategies a reader should use and can track a reader’s performance over a period of time.