For Education 312, a course on Teaching Elementary Reading II, students had to make a lesson plan based on a fictional text using either a word study or reading strategy of their choice and write a conceptualizing essay. The lesson plan focused on making connection; the lesson was geared for students to make connections either, text-to-self, text-to-world, or text-to-text. One of Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) Standard that this piece of evidence satisfied is Standard 4: Instructional Strategies. It also meets one Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI) Standards, Curriculum Standard 2.1.

CEC Standard 4: Instructional Strategies says that my evidence must reflect my knowledge of instructional strategies to individualize instruction and use these strategies to promote positive learning results in general and special curricula. My classroom is mixed with general/exceptional students. Some of the students I made this lesson plan for are diagnosed with Down syndrome. Standard 4 also states that I modify learning environments and enhance the learning of critical thinking, problem solving, and performance skills of students with exceptional learning needs. For my lesson, I repeated the instruction on multiple times for the students to remember what they are asked to do. I will also have the groups share out their connections so everyone will have a better understanding on what a connection is.

ACEI Standard 2; Curriculum, Reading, Writing, and Oral Language, standard 2.1 says my evidence should reflect that I have demonstrated a high level of competence in use of English language arts and know, understand, and use concepts from reading, and language. ACEI Standard Curriculum Standard 2.1 is satified because I showed my knowledge on showing my students how to make connections to a text. I gave my students personal connections I have made from the text to provide my students with examples in case they were unfamiliar to make their own connections. I placed my students in groups of 4 to list all the possible connections that they can make. I walked around the classroom administering any assistance any student may need.