Reflective Essay: Commitment and Care

For the last standard of Medgar Evers College Education Department is Commitment and Care. The department under this standard anticipates me as a teacher candidate to practice social justice, with others, believe that all children can learn, hold high expectations of themselves, and carry out sustained commitment to teaching and learning. The department’s expectation is significant that I treat students as individuals and validate their knowledge and experiences. The department also expects me to be caring and committed.

As evidence for the Commitment and Care standard I am submitting a reflective essay on my early field experience. It was completed in the fall 2010 in one of my education foundation courses: Introduction to the World of the Learner EDUC 102 – WID1. It was an individual assignment required that I visit the Eileen E. Zaglin School, P.S. 225 and shadow a professional. My evidence speaks to item: 8.2 of the Commitment and Care standard which requires that I, interact in a just and fair manner, respecting and valuing the diversity of students and their particular talents and abilities.

I was asked to shadow a professional at my early field experience. The school I attended to observe was the Eileen E. Zaglin P.S. 225 in Brighton Beach, Brooklyn. This assignment also required that I write a two page reflective essay on my experience in the school. The purpose of this assignment was to get a sense of what it is actually like to be a teacher. Going to the school to observe provide me as a teacher candidate with the understanding of the role and responsibilities of a teacher. It was required that I complete 6 hours of observation in a local school setting. I was to observe the teacher while they plan and deliver their instruction, as they interact with the students and as they engage in the school community. 

I began this assignment very thrilled and excited about completing the task at hand. At first I was wondering where this school located is. Never did I hear of the Eileen E. Zaglin School. When I arrived at the school I was amazed with the welcome we was given. Seeing that the faculty all worked together in this school; this showed me that they portray effective communication, collaboration and commitment and care to aid their students. Doing my observation it made me have a deeper appreciation to become a teacher. I see the glow on the children when the teacher was teaching them. Seeing the students’ eager to learn made me realize I will love being a teacher, seeing that I will make a difference in my student’s lives.  Since the class is not yet completed, the grade I wish to receive is a competent grade.

As a teacher in training I will allow my students to explore and observe the world around them as they grow into the individual they are destined to be. I will give them adequate help in any aspect they may need help and share my experience as a student just like them. Depending on the age group I will allow them to navigate themselves into the careers they wish to go into and learn more about the occupation and see if that job is for them.