Conrad Johnson

Dr. Diaz

October 15, 2012

Education 491 – Student Teaching I

Reflection on Math Lesson

My math lesson was on word problems using working backwards as the strategy. When my cooperating teacher and myself was going over topics for me to do for my lesson, I never imagined I would be teaching a lesson on word problems. I thought I would not be able to teach word problems effectively for my students to understand the concept. As I was teaching the lesson different thoughts came into my head. A part of me was nervous because my professor was in the class observing me. Then it hit me, why should I be nervous, when I was in Education 312, I had to conduct a guided reading lesson with five students, and my professor had to observe me. While I was conducting the guided reading lesson my nerves began to diminish and the teacher inside of me came out. I forgot what being nervous meant and I took control and taught my lesson. This same feeling came over me while I was teaching my math lesson. My number one focus was to make sure that all my students were engaged into my lesson.

In my lesson, I wanted to make sure that all my students were able to fully understand the concept of working backwards. I tapped into their prior knowledge about working backwards. I asked my students when they lost or misplaced an item how did they go about relocating this item. Before my students knew it, they were using working backwards or in other words retracing their steps to locate their item. I pointed out to my students that working backwards does not only work for math problems it can be applied to everyday life. I broke up the students into four groups; two groups were working on problems from the smartboard while groups three and four had their own problems. After the students worked on the various problems, they were to write in their math journals with any concerns or questions they may have about the topic. The student’s homework assignment was to make up their own word problem and use the strategy of working backwards to solve the problem. They were expected to show their steps in solving the problem.

Based upon the students journal entries and homework; some were able to show their understanding of working backwards. One of the students was confused when it came to the journal writing; she wrote about her understanding on working with changing units. She did not follow the task, as I read over her journal entry, I came to the conclusion that she was confused from the lesson Ms. Pyle taught prior to her prior to doing my lesson. In my education 340 class, Dr. Johnson lectured to the class that, “assessments provide information about how students learn or are learning, their learning styles or strategies, and their struggles to learn” (Johnson, 2012). Assessments can help both the teacher and student to see what their weaknesses are and what should be done to improve that area of concern. Deborah’s journal entry and homework showed me that she understood what the lesson was about. Her word problem

After I conducted my lesson, I spoke with my professor and cooperating teacher on how my lesson went. First I was asked from my professor, how do you think you did? I immediately said nervous. My professor and cooperating teacher informed me that she did not see me as nervous. My cooperating teacher informed me that she loved my lesson, she said as a teacher it is important that I get all the students engaged in the lesson. Ms. Pyle mentioned that I forgot to provide the students with the definition of working backwards; she said I should always provide my students with the vocabulary words and meaning of the words. Dr. Diaz informed me that I did I was not cultural responsive in my lesson. This is a consideration I will keep in mind for when I am teaching my next lesson. My rubric for my lesson needs to be aligned to my standard. 

After reviewing my student's work I have selected three pieces of work to discuss. The three pieces were given a grade of explemary (4), competent (3), and emerging (2). Deborah received a level 4 on her assignment because she explains with explicated details. She was clear and she was able to apply it to her daily life. Jazelle received a level 3 on her assignment because could have added more details to her writing piece. Kechi received a level 2 because her writing did not follow the task which was to write any concerns or questions about working backwards.