This initial portfolio is completed in partial fulfillment for the course Introduction to the World of the Learner: EDUC 102-WID1. I completed this course in the fall semester of 2010. EDUC 102 -WID1 was one of my foundation courses for the requirements of an Associate of Arts degree at Medgar Evers College.

EDUC 102-WID1 introduces teacher trainees to eight unit standards, so that we know what is expected of us. The eight standards are: Knowledge, Personal & Global Consciousness, Analytical Ability, Creativity, Professionalism, Effective Communication, Collaboration, and Commitment & care. The purpose of this portfolio is used to assess my professional growth. It is also used as evidence during my interview to the Bachelors of Arts program at Medgar Evers College.

EDUC 102-WID1 teaches us that teacher trainees must become chance agents, committed to transforming themselves, their schools, and their communities. This initial portfolio is my evidence that I have achieved a deeper understanding of the eight unit standards. We are required to submit, supporting evidences for each standard and a reflection of exactly how we completed each task. I have to admit this portfolio is one of the most challenging things I have ever had to do. It requires a certain level of scrutiny that I was not quite ready for. WID (writing in discipline, the term used to describe the course) does not begin to describe the effort needed to put a portfolio together.