Behavior Intervention Plan (BIP)

Conrad Johnson

Medgar Evers College

Introduction

This assignment is based on a child who is diagnosed with AD/HD in a daycare setting that I observed. My goals of this assignment were to evaluate and design plans to manage the behavior in a child. The school that I went to was John F. Kennedy Early Childhood Development Center in the Canarsie section of Brooklyn. Outside of the school is nice and the inside is a nice environment as well for the students. There was order among the students while I was there. I was in a Universal Pre-Kindergarten class. The class was filled with students who receive general education and students with other disabilities and the one boy who I observed, who I will call A.N, who was diagnosed with AD/HD.

Before I went in the class, I spoke with the program director and the group teacher and they told me what kind of class I was going into. I asked them not to tell me who the boy with AD/HD is because I wanted to see if I could if identify him for myself. After 15 minutes from being in the class, I spotted A.N by his behavior. The class was in morning concepts, as the students sat quietly on their spots, A.N kept calling out answers when the teacher did not call on anyone as yet. The teacher asked A.N on numerous occasions to wait until she asks a question and for him to raise his hand if he would like to speak. The teacher told him if he does not stop he will have to flip his card. Once he heard he might have to flip his card, he changed his behavior for a while before he did it again. Before observing A.N I have never experienced a child who has been diagnosed with AD/HD, so I ready to speak to the teacher about A.N and learn how he is every day in the classroom. As my Behavior Intervention Project unfolds you will learn more about my experience.

Functional Assessment Plan

Step 1

A.N’s behavior is something I have never seen. Not only does he have random outburst of disruptive behavior, he also like to hit when he does not get his way. While I was observing A.N, there were times when he was loud, rude, and disruptive to his classmates and teachers. At times his attitude showed that he did not care about being disciplined by his teacher. The only way he would calm down his behavior is when his teachers tell him if he continue he will have to flip his card. Due to his behavior, at times he is taken to the program director, so they can have a chance to talk and to modify his behavior. The group teacher shared her anecdotal notes with me that she has on A.N. after reviewing the anecdotal notes on A.N I learned a lot more about him. A.N entered the class in August, since his arrival he has difficulty waiting his turn, disturbs others while they are working, cannot remain still (when sitting on his spot for concepts), and he blurts out without raising his hand. A.N has some days when he acts out more than other days.

Due to A.N’s behavior, when the class is working on an assignment his seat has to be next to the teacher all the time. The group teacher informed me that she tries to have him sit near his friends, but all he would do is disturb them. When A.N is not misbehaving, he produces great work. Some of his work is displayed on the bulletin board outside and around the classroom. I spoke to the group teacher about A.N’s work that is displayed and I asked her how he feels to see his work. She told me that he is happy his work is up.

Step 2

A.N. was diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (AD/HD).  According to PubMed, ADHD is a problem with inattentiveness, over-activity, impulsivity, or a combination. Children that are diagnosed with AD/HD faces behaviors such as inattentive/easily distracted, leaves seat when expected to remain seated, fidgets with hands or feet, difficulty waiting his/her turn, fails to finish what he/she starts (including schoolwork), tends to lose materials/homework, restless, disturbs others, cannot remain still, unorganized and blurts out without raising his/her hand. In order to be diagnosed with AD/HD, at least six or more specific symptoms of inattention or hyperactivity on a regular basis for more than two settings.  A.N’s mom, who I will call M.N, informed me that A.N has a habit of hitting his little brother. In school, A.N has difficulty waiting his turn, he is very impulsive, and blurts out without raising his hand. For this Behavior Intervention Plan, the target behavior is keeping his hands to himself and waiting his turn.

Step 3

I asked A.N’s mother, M.N, if she would like to participate in this project with me and she agreed. M.N and I conducted a brief interview.

Interview with M.N (A.N’s mother)

Me: How is A.N like at home?

M.N: At home he likes to pick on his little brother, but for the most part he helps out a lot. When I am paying too much attention to the baby he gets jealous sometimes.

Me: I have noticed that in the classroom while Ms. Clarissa is helping a student, A.N likes to call to her, so she can focus on him.

M.N: Yes, Ms. Clarissa has informed me on him doing that. A.N is really a handful at times. While we are going home after I pick him up from school he likes to talk to strangers. The part that embarrasses me is he tries to take them home with him. He invites them to come home with him.  

Me: Wow, A.N really does that. I am shocked that he acts that way. Does he take any medication?

M.N: Yes and no, he was on medication but I took him off. My family is very old school and they do not believe in medication for everything so I took him off. Mr. Conrad, I need help with A.N it is a lot raising two boys. Is there anything you can do to help with his behavior?

Me: Yes, one of my education courses I am taking, we have to do a Behavior Intervention Plan. In this plan we target certain behaviors and ways we can eliminate that behavior. Also I will need your assistance in this process as well. While I am trying to remedy the behavior in school, I want you to do the same for when he is home.

M.N: Thank you! Anything you need me to do just let me know and I will get it done. I really want to see a change in A.N’s behavior.

Me: You are welcome. What do you usually do when he acts out?

M.N: Mr. Conrad I have tried everything I can think of. From time outs, taking away his favorite things at home, and ignoring the behavior. Nothing really seems to keep his behavior under control. His behavior will change for a while but only to receive back the items I took from him.

Me: I have noticed at school, Ms. Clarissa flips his card and once his card is flipped he is upset, he says mommy said to stay on green. I see having him flip his card has an effect on his behavior.

M.N: Yes! I love the concept of having the children flip their cards, because A.N knows he has done something wrong and that is his way of trying to get out of trouble by crying and saying he is not going to do it again.

Me: Do not worry M.N we will work together alongside his teacher, Ms. Clarissa to modify his behavior to a more suitable one for both his teacher and yourself.

Frequency Recording

Student: A.N                                                  Dates: 11/5 & 7 … 11/12 & 14

Behavior: Keeping his hands to himself

& waiting his turn.                                          Time: 9:30 am – 10:45 am

Teacher: Ms. Clarissa                                    Setting: Morning Concepts / Independent Areas 

Observer: Conrad Johnson

Time

______________________________________________________________________________

11/5/12            ||||        

9:30 am – 10:45 am                 =5

Morning Concepts / Independent Areas  

11/7/12            |||

9:30 am – 10:45 am                 =3

Morning Concepts / Independent Areas

11/12/12          |||||||

9:30 am – 10:45 am                 =7

Morning Concepts / Independent Areas

11/14/11          ||||  

9:30 am – 10:45 am                 =4

Morning Concepts / Independent Areas

*At every 5 minute interval was the behavior noted.

ABC Observation Form

Student: A.N                                                              Date: November 7, 2012

Target Behavior: Keeping his hands to himself

& Waiting his Turn                                                     Morning Concepts / Independent Areas                                                                                             9:30 am – 10:45 am

Time

Antecedent

Behavior

Consequences

10:10 am

One of A.N’s classmates had a certain table toy (all the boys like this same table toy). A.N told the boy to give it to him and the boy told him no.

A.N got up and took the toy from the boy and punched him in the stomach.

The boy told the group teacher what A.N did to him. A.N. was told to apologize and return the toy. A.N had to sit out for five minutes of play time.

Student: A.N                                                              Date: November 12, 2012

Target Behavior: Keeping his hands to himself &

Waiting his turn                                                          Morning Concepts / Independent Areas

9:30 am – 10:45 am

Time

Antecedent

Behavior

Consequences

9:45 am

The Group teacher was directing the morning concepts. She was asking the students what day of the week is today. A.N would not wait to be called on

A.N was calling out various answers. He kept yelling it is not fair and what about him.

The group teacher asked A.N to flip his card.

Step 4

A.N likes to get his way all the time. If it is not his way, he lashes out on whoever is preventing him from getting what he wants. A.N is the biggest boy in the class, so he uses that to his advantage, he is overly aggressive at times towards his classmates. There is a problem with him constantly hitting his peers five times a day or more. A.N feels if he wants something he does not have to ask for it, he likes to take it from his peers. If he sees something he wants he goes and gets it or if he feels like bothering someone nothing will stop him. His mother, M.N is a single mother of two boys, who are close in age. At times, she comes to his teachers complaining because she does not know what else to do with him. She said it becomes frustrating to deal with him. So when A.N acts out in the classroom, his teacher constantly reminds him if he needs to flip his card. In order for A.N to follow the routine in the classroom, discipline has to be consistent for him to behave positively. If it is not done then in A.N’s case his behavior will reverse and he will continue his usual behavior.

Step 5

After speaking to A.N’s teacher and mother and also, observing him for myself, I see the severity of A.N’s behavior. During instructional time he is moderately disruptive, which has the teacher redirecting his behavior. Making the students stay longer in morning concepts. He is diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (AD/HD) and can be hostile when he does not get his way. He is raised by his mother and his father is absent in his life. Also, his mother has a younger son than A.N, so this shows him that he is not getting all of the attention. Rosenberg mentions in Educating Students with Behavior Disorder, several alternatives that are readily available to decrease the frequency of hyperactive behaviors. He discussed three decreasing behaviors that can decrease the behavior you do not want to see anymore. Extinction, punishment, and differential reinforcement are the three behavioral interventions that can help to eliminate behaviors you do not want to see. A.N’s behavior is not acceptable and the constant threats of changing his behavioral card should be the solution to control his behavior. One alternative that be used to decrease A.N’s behavior is using the principal of extinction. When he is calling out in morning concepts, ignore him until he sees that not the way to get the teachers or classmates attention. Another alternative for A.N’s behavior when he likes to hit his other peers can be punishment, but not corporal punishment. Due to A.N’s behavior he should be reprimanded and practice overcorrection. “A reprimand is an expression of disapproval directed toward a particular behavior. Reprimands are easy to apply, require little planning, and are a common occurrence in the classroom and home” (Rosenberg, 2004, p.g 230). Overcorrection covers two components, one is restitution (the student is required to correct the effects of his or her inappropriate behavior and positive practice (a procedure in which the student is required to extensively rehearse a correct form of behavior)” (Rosenberg, 2004, p.g 232).

Behavior Intervention Plan

Name: A.N

Grade: Universal Pre-Kindergarten

Age: 4 years old

School: John F. Kennedy Early Childhood Development Center

Strengths of Student: A.N is a good student academically. He is smart and is able to

complete most of his work. He likes to work on the computer and play                                          with the puzzles.

Individualized Information About Student: A.N is diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. He acts outs in morning concepts and hits his peers whenever he feels the need to because they have something he wants. The main issue is A.N likes to hit his friends and does not like to wait his turn. His mother tries to discipline him at home as much as possible as she can. His behavior is a reaction of him not getting his way.                                                               

Previously Implemented Intervention: A.N’s teacher had him flip his behavioral card, taking things away from him, having him go speak to social services, and gave him less time in independent areas. However, none of the teacher’s implemented interventions work out for A.N’s progress.  

Problematic Behavior: Keeping his hands to himself & waiting his turn

Function of Keeping his hands to himself & waiting his turn: A.N likes to call out when other children are answering questions. He does not like to wait his turn, his immediate response for not being called on is, it is not fair and what about him. When A.N hits his friends, they tell the teacher and A.N is quick to say he did not do anything. Sometimes A.N will stop for the time being and then he will continue at a later time. A.N will stop if his card reaches orange, because he know if it reaches red, a phone call will be made home.

Replacement Behaviors: A.N enjoys playing games on the computer and doing puzzles.

Intervention: A.N’s teacher and mother are on the same page to get A.N’s behavior under control. She is trying her best with the strategies I have introduced to his teacher and mother. A.N’s mother, his teacher, the program director and social services need to discuss what disciplinary actions will be implemented so they can be on the same page. They also need to treat A.N in a uniform way, so he knows that the behavior will not be tolerated with either one. A.N’s teacher uses beads to reward the students’ behavior. If A.N’s behavior is not acceptable he loses beads. In order for the implementations to take place, it is highly recommended that A.N is seated amongst his classmates so he does not feel neglected and control him from lashing out.

Method of Recording: Frequency Recording, ABC Observation, Direct Observation & Self-                                           monitoring

List of Measurable Changes: The hitting that A.N does should gradually decrease, as well as the calling out of turn in morning concepts. If his teacher, mother, program director, and social services all stay on the same page, A.N’s behavior should decrease within a few months timing.

Schedule for Review: The intervention results will be reviewed by A.N’s mother, his teacher,

program director and social services.

Provisions for Home Coordination: There will be bi-weekly meetings with A.N’s mother,

teacher, program director, and social services to discuss his progress.

Reference

Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder - PubMed Health. (n.d.). National Center for        Biotechnology Information. Retrieved November 13, 2012, from     http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealt

Rosenberg, M. S., Wilson, R., Maheady, L., & Sindelar, P. T. (2004). Educating students with       behavior disorders (3rd ed.). Boston: Pearson/A and B.