Conrad Johnson

Dr. Diaz

Education 491 – Student Teaching I

Cooperating Teacher: Ms. Pyle-Clarke

Recording Date: October 25th, 2012

Time: 12:50 – 1:35 pm Room: 206

Conceptualizing Essay for Science Lesson

When it comes to science, I as a youngster enjoyed doing hands on science lesson. This truly drew me to inquiry more about science. So when I thought of the lesson I wanted to do a creative and engaging lesson that will involve all students’ attention. I collaborated with my cooperative teacher, Ms. Pyle about my science lesson; she informed me that I should make sure my lesson is a hands-on science lesson. As I spoke with Ms. Pyle with we discussed my topic I chose to teach my lesson on; having the students to build their own circuits and be able to light a bulb. Ms. Pyle said that was a good idea, it will have the engaged in the lesson.

My initial reaction of teaching was not as bad as I thought it might be. Gay states, “You can’t teach what and who you don’t know” (2006, p.g, 1). I feel this is true, if you do not know how to teach a particular topic then you should not overstep what you know from what you do not know. You have to be knowledge in all areas in order to carefully teach a particular lesson. I feel in order to teach you should know the dynamics of your students to adequately be able to address any concerns or needs the students may pose about the lesson. As I observed my cooperating teacher when she was teaching her lesson, she taps into her students’ prior knowledge and seek out information so they will have a better understanding of the lesson. For my lesson I wanted to know how to make a way for a light bulb to glow. I wanted them to become experimenter, be able for to refer themselves to the inventor of the first light bulb; Humphry Davy.  

In Education 315, Dr. Saran taught us how to teach science as inquiry, with the how, why and what method, so our students can debrief from the lesson which they have been taught through involvement. While my students are motivated to use logical and critical, I also want to model to my students the 5E Instructional Model.  The 5E model wants the students to be Engage, Explore, Explain, Elaborate, and Evaluate. I wanted my lesson to follow the 5E Instruction Modeling so they will have a clear understanding. Once I had my ideas following for my lesson, I wanted to make sure that my lesson was engaging.

Designing activities and projects that are well orchestrated and designed to assist students and comprehending and developing appreciation for the specific topics and general ideas included in the unit is critical” (Wolfinger & Stockard, 1997, p.g, 98).

Coming across made me realize if your lesson is not engaging, you will lose the students.  When I observe Ms. Pyle teach her science lessons, she makes sure she has artifacts for the students. I asked her why, she said by doing so they will connect to the lesson more. Also for the teacher this concept can help you take anecdotal notes on which students are visual learners.

This semester I am taking Education 457, we read an excerpt from a novel, “Learning to Write/Writing to Learn,” chapter three. Mayer stated “The point is that students must be at the center of their own learning” (Mayher, Lester, & Pedi, 1983, p.g. 38). I want my students be active learners in their education. Teaching should be student-centered. Ms. Pyle teaches her sciences lessons by having it run in a student-centered focus. I wanted to make sure I am free from any biases I may have and respect each of my student opinions.

I have been in my student teaching for almost a month now; I can say that I understand the dynamics of my students. I know what their dislikes and likes are; so I feel teaching this science lesson will be beneficial for them to adapt the concept. My students likes the information to be presented to them in a way they will be able to use visual aids or hands-on experiments.

“If we don’t allow them to speak with their own voices, there’s little chance that we’ll  know whether our teaching has been successful” (Mayher, Lester, & Pedi, 1983, p.g. 38). I feel when teaching science, this is a lesson that students should be able to voice their opinions because a lot of science is based upon theories that is always being altered. So my students may have questions or concerns on the topic they have been taught for clarity. Having my students collaborate with their partners will show me if my students understood my teaching point. Based upon how my students answer the questions with their group members will help me decide what I need to do for differentiating my lesson the text time I teach it. If a child sits in your class for the whole semester or school year, not speaking you will not know how effective your teaching has been for that child.

I will use the attached rubric and the students work to assess general education students. 

Reference

Gay, G. (2010). Cuturally responsive teaching: Theory, research and practice (2nd ed.) New                       York, NY: Teachers College Press.

Mayher, J. S., Lester, N. B., & Pradl, G. M. (1983). Learning to write/writing to learn. Upper        Montclair, N.J.: Boynton/Cook.

Wolfinger, D.M. & James W. Stockard, Jr. (1997). Elementary Methods: An Integrated    Curriculum (NY: Longman).