Commitment and Care

Commitment and care is the eight of eight unit standards of Medgar Evers College- MEC Education Department. The department under this standard expects teachers in training to “practice social justice, with others, believe that all children can learn, hold high expectations themselves, and carry out sustained commitment to teaching and learning”. These expectations are relevant because as a teacher trainee it is important to have a caring and committed disposition towards individuals and students.

As evidence for the Commitment and Care standard, I am submitting a report from one of my education foundation courses, field experience Shadowing Professional EDUC-501 which is a co-requisite of Introduction to the World of the Learner EDUC-102 WID2 and a Early Field Experience Letter. It was an individual assignment. I completed it in the spring of 2010. My evidence speaks to item 8.2 of the Commitment and Care standard which requires a teacher trainee to interact in a just and fair manner, respecting and valuing the diversity of the students and their particular talents and abilities.

In order to complete this assignment, I had to  log on to my CUNY Portal Blackboard account under my course section Introduction to the World of the Learner and visit the course documents link, in order to download the permission letter from the MEC-Education department Field Experience Shadowing Professionals EDUC-501. I printed three copies because I was required to do six hours in total three mandatory with my professor in order to be present for the school’s orientation and the remaining either at the same school with permission from the administrative staff or at any other school of my choice.   However, due to bad weather conditions and a clash with my other courses schedule, I had to miss the orientation for EDUC-501 but I was able to attend an orientation for EDUC-502 which is the co- requisite for Introduction to Special Education EDUC152. Therefore I was responsible for completing my six hours of shadowing professionals, so I made arrangements to visit P.S. 268 and P.S. 149. I observed students in two setting on a general education setting and the other an inclusive setting. In both settings I observed the best practices in education such as differentiation, time on task and classroom management to name a few. The teachers gave me an opportunity to assist them during the instructional time. I saw how technology was being used as a form of a teaching and learning device by the use of a smart board.

My field experience opened my eyes and definitely confirmed that teaching was the career I needed to pursue. As an aspiring teacher I am committed to caring about my future students and I would not only interact in a just and fair manner, respecting and valuing the diversity of students and their particular talents and abilities but also inspire them and challenge them to excel because they are our future and they can do anything. The exemplary grade I received for my report proves that I have fulfilled the requirements of the Commitment and Care standard of MEC- Education department.