Creativity

In the fall semester of 2010 I had taken education 102 which is the introduction to the world of learning. The professor who taught this course was Dr. Rosalina Diaz an associate professor in the education department. One of the assignments that Dr. Diaz assigned for us to do was create a lesson plan which would both benefit a regular education class and a ESL student who might be the only boy or girl in the class who doesn’t speak English. The Education department defines creativity which is standard #7 as candidates conceptualize, design, and develop imaginative work. To be more specific objective 4.2 states that candidates should develop learning materials and lessons that utilize their imaginative capacities.

Until today I thought about the fact that I might have to teach a regular education class with 30 children and one of them might be an ESL student. This ESL student who for whatever reason is in my class may not speak English at all which is a problem. Whatever I plan to teach I have to include something that he or she would understand.

Due to the amount of ESL programs there are you think that every child is ok but that is not always the case. There may be a school in the area that cannot afford to have an ESL program or they do but it’s very full.

When we saw a movie in class about a girl from Puerto Rico, who migrated to the United States in order to live a better life that is when I saw things differently. I started to realize that I should be better prepared for any little thing that may come my way because you just cannot predict the future.

I did like the fact that I was able to create my won lesson plan. I got to see what it was like to find an objective, find material, determining what to make my lesson incorporate a bilingual student which to me was the difficult because I had to think of a lot of possible ways to make this happen. There were many devices and ways to help the child learn the lesson in English but it had to be something on her grade level.

Overall I love planning lessons for the children. I got to think about the possible things I could teach. I even did some research on ways to help a bilingual child learn the materials or have the words translate in Spanish.