Reflection: Effective Communication

This evidence meets the standard of Effective Communication, which states that candidates speak and write in appropriate registers depending on audiences and purposes and demonstrate comprehensive fluency. This case in point is based on an essay paper that I wrote on the “Social Changes Enhancing the New York Dialect,” for English 150, Professor S. Jaramillo’s class.  The essay was based on readings discussed in class, where I had to provide specific textual evidence by finding similarities in both essays from Margalit Fox editorial in the New York Times, “that was judged on purely linguistic grounds that all language and all dialects have equal merits.” And also Amy Tan essay on the topic, “Mother Tongue.” I was to support my answer by comparing the evidences found in both essays.

Writing this essay has helped me to write in appropriate registers, since I was able to systematically capture what both writers were trying to convey to their audiences in my English paper.  Both writers talked about how languages have evolved and how language is constantly changing because, of the large number of immigrants that have moved into certain communities that have influenced the changes and are still doing so today.  Both writers had a dual perspective on effective communication. They both had to adapt to their changing society in order to blend in however, they also kept their different dialect, which they use at home and often switch between dialects depending on the environment they found themselves in.

Effective communication has also helped me to speak in appropriate registers to demonstrate comprehensive fluency because I realize how important it is to effectively communicate ideas and point of views in order for people to capture and understand what you are discussing.  I was able to effectively communicate to other in my English class when we first had to discuss our findings to the teacher and other students in class.  The in class sessions helped in the gathering of information and ideas, which further helped in preparing a meaningful essay.

This evidence placed my abilities as one that is emerging, in view of the fact that, I am an immigrant who had to adapt to so many changes in demonstrating comprehensive fluency.  I realize that although effective communication is a challenge for me, with practice I can achieve a greater level in my writing and speaking abilities, which would further help me in the future.  As an aspiring teacher I would be able to help other kids overcome the fear of effectively communicating their ideas and point of view because I would be able to relate to their experiences.