My Teaching Philosophy

I want to be a progressive teacher. Based on my own personal experience in my educational journey, I want to be a teacher whose philosophical orientation to teaching will equip students with “problem solving strategies that will enable them to discover meaningful knowledge at various stages of their lives.” (Becoming a teacher pg 86) Progressivism is a student centered philosophy that believes that ideas should be tested by experimentation, and learning comes from finding answers from questions. I believe that a good teacher must first love her job, must be effective in communicating and connecting with students, must relate genuinely to students and engage them emotionally and intellectually.  If the teacher is successful, the students would possess the motivation and desire to learn and think critically about the world around them. 

However, as an aspiring teacher who has embraced the philosophies of being a progressive teacher, I would additionally like to utilize many different teaching techniques to accommodate individual differences in the classroom because, no two student are alike. Being a teacher means that I have to be creative and adapt a can do attitude when dealing with children with all different attitudes, behaviors and demographics.  I believe that different students will respond differently to different teaching techniques.  For example a classroom of inner-city students may require a different teaching technique than a classroom of wealthy suburban students.   As an aspiring teacher I would modify my teaching approach to account for as many variables (social, political, economic) as possible to facilitate the most effective learning experience for all.