Roashell Bonadie

Education 355 – Critical Issues in the history of Education

Dr. Diaz - WANY Mid-term Research

April 17, 2012

Interview with an Asian American student

Introduction

I met Chris in the Medgar Evers Cafeteria, even though he was the only Asian American in the room he was surrounded by a group of four friends that were from different races.  I approached their table hoping that I would be able to interview him; I then asked him if I can have a word with him for a few minutes. He looked puzzled and asked “who me?” I nodded yes and he jokingly said to me as he was walking over to me “I didn’t do it.” We both laughed. I then introduced myself and then explain to him that I wanted to interview him for a class project. He was very keen to help.

Interview

Roashell: Were you born in the United States?

Chris: Yes

Roashell: What Asian country are your parents from?

Chris:   My parents are from China and I am a first generation Asian-American.

Roashell:  What was your education experience like in New York schools?

Chris:   My experience was good, but at times it was complicated because in most of my classes I was sometimes the only Asian in my classroom. In Junior High I attended a private Catholic school and then I attended a public high school.

Roashell: Did the teachers and students have high expectation of you in your academic work because you are Asian?

Chris: No, I was treated with the same level of respect.

Roashell: There is a stereotype in our society about Asians being smarter than other students, did you experience this kind of label in school?

Chris: I can’t remember anyone ever saying anything to me. If they thought it then no one said anything to me.

Roashell: Did your parents speak English?

Chris: Yes they speak both English and Spanish.

Roashell: Was it hard for them to communicate with your school seeing that English is their second language?

Chris: No, my parents speak English really well. I don’t know how they managed to speak English so well seeing that my grandparents do not speak English. Ever since I was small they were speaking English well so they had no problems relating to my school faculty.