All About Me

Hi, my name is Roashell Bonadie and I’m from St. Vincent and the Grenadines.  I am a student at Medgar Evers College pursuing a teacher’s education degree. I have done a lot of things in my life on this earth that I would consider challenging but, none was harder for me than taking this journey back to school towards receiving a college degree. 

In 1996 I left St. Vincent and the Grenadines in search of a better life. At first I did not want to move out of my comfort zone but, my husband convinced me that we would have better opportunities in America. I eventually gave in because; looking at my current situation there wasn’t much that could be done in the environment I was in to improve my situation.   I knew that I wanted to go back to school to pursue higher education but, there were no Colleges or Universities in my country.

I migrated to New York, and while I thought that life in my country was hard, it took me a few days to realize that in New York, life as an immigrant was going to be much harder, and I would have to work twice as hard to achieve my goal of being a Teacher. However, more than ever I was ready for the challenges that lie ahead. I was determining to take advantage of the opportunities that New York had to offer no matter what obstacles occur. I was willing and ready to work hard. 

In 2002, I entered the doors of Medgar Evers College as a part time student, since financial constraint would not allow me to attend college full-time, but I knew that once I had started there was no stopping me. I was going all the way come what may. There are so many different responsibilities that I have to juggle, like being a wife, mother, homemaker, job, volunteer etc. it has definitely been a struggle to attend and finance my college education however, I have the conviction that ‘hard work will one day bring success.’

Looking back at my journey thus far has made me realize that entering the doors of Medgar Evers College in 2002 was one of the best choices that I have made. It has been an eye opening experience. In the past I had placed so many limitations and barriers on myself and now I can see the walls that I had built up coming down. I have also met so many people in college and their experience and story has helped me to see that we all share common goals and dreams. Once I have received my degree from Medgar Evers College I plan to utilize my college experience by opening up a school that will help underprivileged kids who need that extra thrust. I know that the training I am receiving at Medgar Evers College will help make my dreams a reality.