SYLLABUS PART II
GUIDELINES, FORMAT, AND EXPLANATION OF ASSIGNMENTS
Computers in Elementary School
Name: Dr. R. Saran
1. Guidelines for website presentation
The purpose of this assignment is to have you familiarize yourself with the many opportunities available to educators in the area of professional development and that are available on the Internet. Investigate and evaluate twelve web sites in content areas of Math, Science, Social Studies, Writing, Reading/Language Arts, and Arts. Provide 2 sites in each content area. Interactive sites should teach content, must have lessons for teachers, learning materials for teachers and students, and/or resources for teachers and students.
This is a group presentation. Pick only two sites from your collection of 12 sites for presentation in the class.
A write up will accompany the presentation. In this paper you will describe each website. Reflect on the site as a resource. Conclude your writing with a discussion of your impressions and the impact that such resources may have on your professional development and teaching. Each group member will have individual paper.
2. Guidelines for Lesson Plan Using Technology
Follow the lesson plan format provided to you.
Incorporate technology into the standard lesson plan format. You are required to use at combination of least 2-3 technological tools in your lesson plan.
Technology may be used
- as a presentation tool
- as a learning tool
- as a thinking tool
- as a communication tool
In the lesson plan, be sure to include detailed instructions for the use of technology.
Just to get you started, possible use of technology in a lesson might include:
- Desktop publishing
Educational Software Applications (CD-ROM, DVD)
- Geometer’s Sketchpad
- Inspiration, Kidspiration
- Educational Software
- Applets and instructional software
- Online discussion groups
- Virtual field trips
- Video clips
- Audio-visual equipment
- Recording devices
- Digital camera
- Overhead projector
- Video clips
3. Teaching and Learning Technology Research Project
You are supposed to make a PowerPoint research project that will you might use in your classroom as a resource.
Your presentation should have only 6-7 pages excluding the title page. The first page should provide introduction of the concept. For example if your topic is “Technology for students with learning disabilities,” you must provide information on learning disabilities, what instructional technology you will use, and how you will apply technology to enhance learning. You should be using who, what, where, when, why, and how format.
You can use a topic from the following topics:
- Adaptive and assistive technology for exceptional learners
- Technology for students with learning disabilities
- Technology for early childhood special education
- Technology for students with hearing disabilities
- Technology for students with visual disabilities
- Technology for students who are gifted and talented
- How to use technology to conduct assessment
- Use of eBooks in classrooms
- Evaluation and acquisition of instructional software
10. The computer as a tool in elementary school geometry
11. Technology for blind and physically handicapped
12. Use of technology in reading
- 4. Webquest Format
Brainstorm idea about your topic. Pick a topic that is in curriculum of the grade level you want to work with. You need to consult and collaborate with classroom teacher you will be working with. Your Webquest must have the following components:
- Title page
- Introduction: In this section you include your aim what you intend to do with the webquest, grade level, standards, resources you will use.
- Tasks: What students are required to do and what you want them to accomplish?
- Process: Explain how students will do the task? What will be your instruction?
- Evaluation: How would you grade students’ works. Provide your grading rubrics.
- Credits/ References
- Summary/Students’ reflection
- Teacher page: You can write your reflection and any other materials you used such as award certificates, grading charts etc.
We will explore WebQuest design process in class.