Reflection

I am submitting   my Mathematics conceptualizing essay, lesson plan, reflection, and student learning outcomes. During my clinical practice I was required to plan lessons, write conceptualizing essays, and reflect on how I executed my lessons for the best desired outcome for my students. Putting the pieces together for the conceptualizing was a real learning  experience for me but with the constant corrections from my supervisor Dr. Wright, I finally found the pieces to the puzzle.

I taught this Mathematics lesson in Fall of 2012. In planning this lesson I had to into consideration the  students’ abilities because, I was assigned to a class where there were students who had  various learning disabilities.NAEYCE Standard 4 explains Using Developmentally Effective Approaches  With this in mind, Candidates prepared in early childhood degree programs understand that teaching and learning with young children is a complex enterprise, and its details vary depending on children’s ages, characteristics, and the settings within which teaching and learning occur. They a) understand and use positive relationships and supportive interactions as the foundation for their work with young children and families. Candidates b, c) know, understand, and use a wide array of developmentally appropriate approaches, instructional strategies, and tools to connect with children and families and d) positively influence each child’s development and learning.. I was trying not to use the all of what the standard states, but since I was dealing with students with special needs special, I had to use the entire standard. Since the students have different learning styles, it was best to plan activities that were developmentally appropriate I order to cater to their special needs. In order to know how students are progressing. It is necessary for them to be assessed. CEC standard states that Standard 8: Assessment is integral to the decision-making and teaching of special educators and special educators use multiple types of assessment information for a variety of educational decisions.

Overall the lesson went well. 90% of the class were able complete the activities for this lesson.