Reflection

In the  Fall 2010, one of the courses that I was required to take was Education 253, instructed by Dr. Hoyte. This course required me to conduct an evaluation report for a child with speech impairment and make recommendations for him to get the help he needs. I discovered that NAEYCE Standard 2 states that

Candidates prepared in early childhood degree programs understand that successful early childhood education depends upon partnerships with children’s families and communities. They a) know about, understand, and value the importance and complex characteristics of children’s families and communities. They use this understanding to b) create respectful, reciprocal relationships that support and empower families, and c) to involve all families in their children’s development and learning .  Since the child was referred by his pediatrician his mother decided to seek the necessary help for him. After learning about the child`s situation  my colleagues and I decided that we would  assist the child`s parents to get him the help he needs, to improve his speech and social skills. An overall  assessment was conducted this speaks to CEC Standard Beginning special educators demonstrate their mastery of this standard through the mastery of the CEC Common Core Knowledge and Skills, as well as through the appropriate CEC Specialty Area(s) Knowledge and Skills for which the preparation program is preparing candidates.   There were a number of evaluation and assessment that were done in the different domains throughout the study to arrive at a positive outcome.  After the necessary assessments and evaluations were done my group had to present to the class the outcome of the study. The CEC Standard for Collaboration explains that Special educators routinely and effectively collaborate with families, other educators, related service providers, and personnel from community agencies in culturally responsive ways. This collaboration assures that the needs of individuals “Exceptional Condition" is used throughout to include both single and co-existing conditions. These may be two or more disabling conditions or exceptional gifts or talents coexisting with one or more disabling condition

.

STANDARD 2. BUILDING FAMILY AND COMMUNITY RELATIONSHIPS

Candidates prepared in early childhood degree programs understand that successful early childhood education depends upon partnerships with children’s families and communities. They a) know about, understand, and value the importance and complex characteristics of children’s families and communities. They use this understanding to b) create respectful, reciprocal relationships that support and empower families, and c) to involve all families in their children’s development and learning