Lynette Williams

Educ 507- Early Field Experience Seminar

Professor: Dr. Lowden

December 19, 2012

I am a student in the Education Department of Medgar Evers College. In my Education 302 class we were asked to complete 18 hours in the Early Field Experience course EDUC 507: Curriculum and Instruction in Early Childhood Education: As part of the requirement I was asked to observe several aspects of the classroom environment, from schedules to student-teacher interactions. I was also asked to complete a list of questions to complete my hours of observation.

1)      There is a copy of my signed permission slip.

2)      A map of the classroom and how students use the space.

The classroom is large and child friendly. Evidence of students work could was displayed in the different subject areas all around the classroom. The classroom consist of different  learning centers, there are Math center, Science Center, Computer Center, Reading and Writing Center  contain books for different levels, Word wall, Parent and Community Board, There is a  area rug where students meet for discussion, story time and many other activities. Also in the room are a refrigerator, microwave, a smart board, two teachers desks, children’s` cubbies, lockers for teachers storage, tables and chairs for students , two dry erase boards and a host of other teaching materials that are used in the learning process. The room consists of 31 students. Even though the room is large, there is limited space between the desks; children and teacher sometimes find it difficult to move around.

3)      An explanation of the Learning Centers:

The learning centers as I mentioned before are frequently used for example, the centers are used independently by children when they have completed their work. They would go to the choose the center they desire and work quietly.

4)      The teacher`s daily schedule and how it is being used:

The Schedule

8:00 -8:30 Arrivals

8:30 Assembly

9:00

9:40- Morning Meeting

9:40- 10:00 ELA

10:00- Learning Centers

11:00- Lunch

12: 00 –Recess

1:00- Math

Afternoon Snack

1:15- Social Studies

2:00-2:30- Dismissal

5)      An overview of the scheduling, scope and sequence, standards and curriculum.

This was not available.

6)      A record of how the classroom is managed with respect to setting up meaningful learning experiences, managing task and physical space.

From what I observed the classroom is sometimes chaotic, the teacher would plan an activity that requires sitting on the rug, the rug is too small to accommodate all 31 students, so the students get very restless because everyone wants to sit in the front so they could see what was going on. Sometimes it seems difficult to manage and complete a task because of inadequate space.

7)      An explanation of the teacher`s management strategies:

The teachers` management strategies were effective. Teachers would use many ques as reminders to gain students attention or to get them to stay on task. Sometimes teachers get very frustrated and have to raise their voices.

8)      A Description of other adults in the classroom.

The classroom consists of 4 adults. There is a general education teacher and the other a special education teacher. The other adults in the classroom are the paraprofessionals. They are each assigned to particular students to offer one- on- one supervision. They also assist other students in the classroom.

9)      A Description of pullouts:

Students are allowed to go outside to the playground area. (Recess)

10)  An Explanation of the students with disabilities:

There is no evidence of students with disabilities, it is seen but they are not diagnosed.

11)   A demographic of the students` ethnicities;

The classroom. The classroom`s culture consist of students from African decent (Nigeria and Ghana), Caribbean (Guyana, Trinidad, Haiti, Grenada, Jamaica and Barbados), Latinos (Puerto Rico and Mexico) Hungary and some are Americans. From the teachers` understanding, English is the only language the students speak in school.

12)  MEC standards observed:

There was evidence of MEC standards of collaboration where teaching staff

and also with the students. Professionalism was seen when teachers exhibits professional ethics among teachers and students. Commitment and Care was evident when teachers provided many meaningful activities to foster learning and cater to the needs of students of diverse cultures.

13)  How Age appropriateness is addressed:

Teachers` Lesson Plans and activities used in the class was age appropriate. 

14)     The Involvement of the community and parents:

I interviewed Mrs. Graham the Parent Coordinator she worked at the school for 10 years.  She is the mother of four children and one has a disability. She has a passion for parents and children; she is the liaison person between the parent and the school. I f a child has a problem there is a form that needs to filled out. The form is later passed on to the guidance councilor, teacher or social worker. She also emphasized that every classroom has a male teacher and this caters to the children coming from single parent homes. There are three male aids in the special needs classes. She works in conjunction with the assistance in Early Childhood and the Principal in early Elementary with students’ ages3-5 years.

15)  How are students assessed e.g. formal, informal:

Students are assessed both formal and informal.

16)  Your overall analysis of the experience.

My overall experience was a pleasant, some days were good and some were not, so good. The teachers were cooperative and made me feel comfortable. They gave me support when it was time to do my lesson. The students also gave me support when I had to do my lesson. Working in the Public School is a great challenge; I look forward to embrace that challenge in the final semester.