Student Teacher: Lynette Williams

Cooperating Teacher: Ms. Beach PS 91

College Supervisor: Professor T. Nappi

Grade Level: Kindergarten

Date: April 24, 2012

Five Boroughs/ My Neighborhood

I. Standard(s)

1.  With prompting and support, answer simple questions about key details (individuals, events, ideas, or pieces of information) in a text.

I recognize that spoken words are represented in written language by specific sequences of letters.

5. Add drawings or other visual displays to descriptions when

appropriate to clarify ideas, thoughts, and feelings.

II. Essential Question:

How can retelling help us understand our borough/neighborhood community?

III. Teaching Point/Performance

Students will use newly acquired vocabulary to answer questions from the text.

Students will orally retell what they know about story and information from the text.

Students will write/draw their evidence from the text.

Materials: Books.

Books, pencils, paper, and crayons.

IV. Learning Activities

A.Mini Lesson

Students will be given books.

I will ask students, what they think about the book.

I will introduce the title of the book the author and illustrator and genre to the students.

I will tap into student`s background knowledge by asking them what they know about   the book, to elicit responses to describe what is seen in the picture.

B.Accountable Talk

Teacher will do a picture walk showing one page at a time in the book. I will ask students to tell me what they see. I will insert language by introducing the vocabulary and pause at each page to what they see in the book. Student will use the right words to say what they see in the pictures.

C.Guided Practice

I will model to students by introducing vocabulary or tricky parts of the book, and point to each word as teacher go through the book. After a brief discussion of the book, I will let them and pause on words that they may not be able to pronounce. After looking at the pictures, based on clues this will allow them give the correct word.

D.Independent Reading

After I am finished I will distribute their books and allow them to read pointing to each word as they read, starting with the cover page. Allow students to read aloud and at their independently at their own pace. I will go around and observe students to see what strategy they are using to figure out the words. If students pause on a word, I will suggest that they try to sound the first letter and then other letters, also encourage students to use phonemic awareness letter recognition, or look at the pictures for cues to help them figure out words to guide my prompting. What was the book about? Tell me in your own words one or two sentences. This is a good way to transition emergent readers into developing reading comprehension, and also to provide a listening comprehension.

E. Summary

After students have completed their reading, to test students’ comprehension to see if they understand what they just read. I will ask them to retell the story by asking questions. I will ask: What did you do when you come to word that you could not read? Student will share the strategy they used to help them read. I will ask questions like: Did the pictures help you read the words? Or did sounding out, or did letter recognition help figure out words that would help you read. Possible answers could be: Read the book again and look at the pictures. Students will complete an activity by writing one or two sentences about something from the story; they can also draw pictures of their borough/neighborhood.

IV.Assessment/Evaluation of Learning

Students will be evaluated on how well they use the strategy of retelling and reading; they will draw a picture of an important person, landmark or building in their borough /neighborhood.

RUBRIC

Emergent      

Exemplary      

Competent

Comments    

Oral Discussion

Writing

Art work

Student is able to comprehend and retell what they have read by using picture cues to figure out words. They will write one/two sentences, from the story also draw evidence from reading with prompting.

Student is able to comprehend, and retell what they have read by using picture cues words to figure out words. They will write one/ two sentences from the story also draw evidence with little or no prompting.

Student is able to comprehend, and retell what they have read by using picture cues to figure out words. They will write one/two sentences from the story and draw evidence without prompting.

.