WARNING: This ePortfolio is currently being used as a template. Published changes or deletions will affect new ePortfolios created from this template.

My Experience as a Latina at a Historically Black College

When you grow up in a predominantly Black neighborhood, you attend predominantly Black schools.  I still live in a predominantly Black neighborhood.  I chose to attend a historically Black college only because my sister-in-law suggested it as she was attending at the time. My sister-in-law is also Latina, in fact, if it wasn’t for her calling me on that day, out of the blue, when I was feeling a little down about being laid off and not finding work for months, I would not have registered at all. God bless her.

I registered in September of 2004 as an education major and graduated this June 2010 with a Bachelor’s in Childhood Special Education (math concentration). My years at Medgar have been enlightening to say the least and I wouldn’t change it for the world.   Although it may be difficult at times, I am one that opens my arms to whatever life has to offer me, whether good or bad, and finding a way to make something useful come out of it.

Most of the professors, I found to be fair in grading, however there were times that I felt I had earned a better grade.  And yes, there were moments when I felt, “Ok, I am not of their kind and that’s just the way it is.  They will push theirs along…look out for their own kind.  Then I would think, if it were a mostly Latina college, like perhaps Baruch…the same would occur”.  When I think about it now…there were other reasons for not receiving a better grade, like for instance, turning in papers late, coming to class late, absences, etc., and not all the professors are Black.  I did the best that I could do with my schedule, working and college at the same time, not to forget that my brain is older than most of my classmates.  I think I did fairly well considering.

There was a bad experience with a Black male professor…he seemed to try to pick at me to get a reaction. I had heard and witnessed that he could be difficult and rude.  There was an incident where I was doing a PPT presentation…my first ever, and because I could not manage the equipment, he cut me off and did not allow me to complete the presentation. This was my first semester; I was a freshman and had never done a PPT presentation even though I had knowledge of PPT and was able to put it together.  In another incident, he spoke to me in a manner that was disrespectful to the point that another student (Black male), in the hallway at the time, looked at me with amazement.  I did not respond in a way that I probably would have years ago…I was diplomatic and ignored him.  I was one of a very few that actually passed his midterm. When the final was due (another presentation), I had a death in the family and had to fly with my mother to Puerto Rico for the funeral.  I could not reach him to explain but left a message on his office phone.  Eventually, I was able to make arrangements with him to do my presentation at his office.  I had prepared another PPT along with the actual art piece.  As I arrived at his office five minutes early, he was putting on his coat to leave. I found this strange but not surprising.  If I had arrived at the time arranged, he may not have been there.  I was allowed to do my presentation orally without the PPT.  I got a B for that class while others received an A.  I felt that he treated me that way because I was a strong Latina woman, and he wanted to break me or maybe that was his way of coming at me, if you know what I mean. But then, I was not the only one he had issues with.  I also heard that another female (not Latina) had written a letter of complaint…and that she was not the first.

There was also a bad experience with a White female professor…one that was also rude and difficult.  I was not the only one to have a bad experience with her.  I think that you will have good and bad experiences in any college. And yes, you will have those that may treat you a certain kind of way because you are Latina. That thought will always pop up in your head, briefly, “Oh, I am not of their kind…that is why this happened”.  But people in general treat you a certain kind of way for various reasons. As I said before, you have to take the good with the bad and make it work for you somehow. Do what you need to do to help you move forward and stay focused on your mission…your goal…your dream.

As a Latina, my experience at a historically Black college, I feel, would have been no different at any other college.  I have made friendships with fellow classmates, professors and staff.   Actually, I knew a staff member from a previous job.  Medgar has a multi-cultural staff as do many colleges.  As far as students, I have never been treated indifferently. 

In addition, I have been blessed to be a part of the first Hispanic club at a historically Black college – Medgar Evers, and have been able to focus on my Hispanic roots as I needed to.  My upbringing was not centralized to my roots…I was taught to learn and speak English to succeed in America.  Being part of the club has helped me in that sense, tremendously.  I plan to stay connected with not only the Hispanic club but also the Education club at Medgar.